Security was heightened outside Delhi’s Shah Auditorium on Sunday, August 23, after social media posts and videos claimed that permission had been granted for a protest against the University Grants Commission (UGC) Equity Regulations, 2026 and the existing reservation system. Delhi Police, however, said no permission had been granted for such a gathering and warned people not to rely on or circulate unverified claims.
The police also said prohibitory orders under Section 163 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS) were already in force in the concerned district, barring protest marches, demonstrations, processions and assemblies of five or more people. The clarification came days after a large gathering at Jantar Mantar under the banner of Reservation Hatao Andolan (RHA), where protesters called for changes to caste-based reservation.
Union Minister Chirag Paswan, meanwhile, said the government was willing to engage with protesters if their demands were presented systematically.
Police Issue Warning
The heightened security at Shah Auditorium followed online mobilisation around a proposed protest over reservation reforms and the UGC Equity Regulations, 2026. Delhi Police said several posts and videos were calling on people to assemble in Delhi, while some claimed that official permission had been granted. The Deputy Commissioner of Police, New Delhi, urged citizens not to gather on the basis of such material or amplify it without verification.
“Citizens are advised not to gather on the basis of such misleading posts/videos and not to amplify, forward or share any unverified content,” the DCP said in a post on X. Police further clarified that demonstrations involving five or more people were prohibited under the restrictions then in force and warned that appropriate legal action could be initiated against those creating, circulating or disseminating false or misleading information.
The warnings came amid heightened sensitivity around the reservation debate, with authorities taking precautionary measures to prevent an unauthorised gathering or disruption around the auditorium.
Protest Debate Intensifies
The latest development follows a protest at Jantar Mantar on Friday, August 21, where a large number of people gathered under the RHA banner to oppose the existing caste-based reservation system. Protesters reportedly demanded that reservation in education and government employment be determined primarily on economic criteria rather than caste or social identity.
They also called for a “one family, one reservation” approach and sought changes to the UGC’s 2026 equity regulations. Security personnel, including Delhi Police and central forces, were deployed as a precautionary measure during the gathering, and reports said more than 50 protesters were detained. The protests have also coincided with a wider debate over the UGC Equity Regulations, which are intended to address caste-based discrimination in higher educational institutions.
Against this backdrop, Union Minister Chirag Paswan said the government was open to discussions with those opposing caste-based reservation, provided their demands were put forward in a systematic manner. “Once the protesters present their demands systematically, the government will engage in dialogue with them,” Paswan said, according to PTI. He also pointed to the existing 10% reservation for Economically Weaker Sections while responding to calls for an economic basis for reservation.
The Logical Indian’s Perspective
The debate around reservation is deeply connected to questions of equality, historical discrimination, opportunity and social justice, making it especially important that disagreements are addressed through dialogue rather than confrontation. The right to peaceful protest is an important democratic avenue for citizens to express concerns, but that right also comes with a responsibility to verify information, respect lawful restrictions and avoid actions that could put others at risk.
At the same time, authorities have a responsibility to communicate restrictions clearly and ensure that public-order measures remain proportionate, transparent and respectful of citizens’ rights. Social media can help people organise and raise legitimate concerns, but unverified claims about permissions or gatherings can quickly create confusion and unnecessary tension.
As the government signals a willingness to engage with protesters, a constructive conversation could help move the debate beyond slogans towards evidence, constitutional values and practical solutions. How can India create more spaces where difficult questions about reservation and equality are debated openly, peacefully and with empathy for all sides?
#FactCheck
— Delhi Police (@DelhiPolice) August 22, 2026
There are various videos circulating regarding the alleged grant of permission for a protest, on the issues of UGC Roll back, at Shah Auditorium, on 23rd August are false and misleading.
No permission has been granted to anyone in this regard for 23rd August at Shah…











