The Jharkhand government’s decision to cancel the JSSC-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination has triggered a fresh protest by nearly 2,000 candidates who cleared the exam and were subsequently appointed to government posts.
The candidates gathered outside the Jharkhand Secretariat in Ranchi on August 18, a day after Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced the cancellation of the examination and all recruitment tests conducted by outsourced agency TSR Data Processing Pvt Ltd (TDPL) since 2014, citing emerging findings of irregularities.
While the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, which had led a 24-day agitation demanding cancellation and an investigation, welcomed the move, some protesters say the demand for a CBI probe remains unmet. Student leader Devendra Nath Mahto ended his 16-day hunger strike after the government’s announcement, calling the cancellation a “huge victory for Jharkhand”.
Meanwhile, appointed candidates argue that they should not lose their jobs unless individual wrongdoing is established. Assistant Section Officer Kaushal Kumar said, “Tell us our crime. Don’t throw us out,” while Chanda Kumari questioned whether candidates had been given an opportunity to present their side.
The government has defended the cancellation as necessary to restore confidence in recruitment and announced a wider investigation into examinations conducted since 2014, along with an examination-reforms committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal.
Appointed Candidates Fear Job Loss
The cancellation has created an unusual situation in which two groups of candidates who prepared for government recruitment are now seeking different forms of justice. The protesters who had demanded the JSSC-CGL cancellation see the government’s move as an important step towards accountability, while those who cleared the examination say the same decision has suddenly put their careers at risk.
Around 1,975 candidates have reportedly been appointed through the JSSC-CGL recruitment process, and several say they joined their posts only after the examination results were cleared following prolonged judicial scrutiny. Outside the Secretariat, Kaushal Kumar appealed to the government to investigate alleged wrongdoing rather than cancel the entire process.
“We have come with all documents. Don’t cancel it. Probe it. Do a CBI probe or whatever investigation you deem fit, but please don’t do injustice to us,” he said. Candidates also say the consequences could be particularly severe for those who resigned from earlier jobs after receiving their Jharkhand appointments.
Kumar claimed more than 500 successful candidates had left Central government positions to join the state service. Chanda Kumari, meanwhile, questioned whether it was fair to treat all successful candidates alike when individual involvement in malpractice had not been established.
From Exam Controversy To Legal Battle
The JSSC-CGL controversy has been unfolding since the examination was first scheduled in January 2024. Around 6.4 lakh candidates had applied for the regular and backlog recruitment, which covered about 2,025 posts.
The initial examination was cancelled after allegations of a paper leak, following which a fresh examination was conducted on September 21 and 22, 2024. Allegations of irregularities resurfaced after the re-examination, leading to litigation and a Special Investigation Team (SIT) probe.
In December 2025, the Jharkhand High Court vacated its earlier stay on publication of the results, directed JSSC to declare the final results and ordered the state government to appoint successful candidates, while keeping the selection of 10 candidates subject to the outcome of the SIT investigation.
The court also said action could be taken against any other successful candidate if the investigation subsequently established involvement in malpractice. It rejected a plea seeking a CBI probe, finding no sufficient basis to conclude that the SIT investigation was defective.
The Supreme Court subsequently declined to interfere with the High Court’s order in January 2026. The latest cancellation has therefore reopened a legal and administrative question: whether an examination can now be scrapped in its entirety despite appointments having followed judicial directions, and how candidates who are not individually implicated will be protected.
Meanwhile, the government’s wider decision covers TDPL-linked examinations dating back to 2014. Soren said the CID would investigate irregularities across that period and that the ongoing investigations had revealed “several shocking facts” and a “complex, interconnected network” involving companies that had operated in the state.
The Logical Indian’s Perspective
The JSSC-CGL controversy highlights a painful reality of public recruitment: when an examination system fails, the consequences can extend far beyond a single test. Students who have spent years preparing for government jobs deserve a recruitment process that is transparent, credible and protected from malpractice. At the same time, candidates who have already been appointed deserve due process and should not be treated as guilty solely because allegations surround the examination through which they were selected.
Accountability and compassion should not be competing principles. The government’s wider investigation must be thorough, independent and transparent, while giving every affected candidate a meaningful opportunity to present evidence and challenge adverse decisions. If wrongdoing is established, those responsible should face appropriate action; if candidates are found to have secured appointments fairly, their livelihoods should be protected.
Also read: Manipur: Imphal Torch Rally Demands NRC Before Census As Police Deploy Barricades
JPSC JSSC REFORM PROTEST आंदोलनरत छात्रों में गजब का उत्साह@BJP4India @BJP4Jharkhand @narendramodi @AmitShah @NitinNabin pic.twitter.com/zxvSJ2FKuI
— Sita Soren (@SitaSorenMLA) August 17, 2026













